Tuesday, June 25, 2024

What Was the Real View of God Held By Early Christians?

The following is excerpted from Gospel Topics Essay: Are Mormons Christian? The article is written by Eric Johnson. 


In the original article Eric underlines the statements from the LDS essay but I will use italics instead. I will then put Eric’s rebuttal in blue except when he is quoting Scripture and then it will be in red. So let’s get started:


Latter-day Saints Do Not Accept the Creeds of Post–New Testament Christianity.

Scholars have long acknowledged that the view of God held by the earliest Christians changed dramatically over the course of centuries. Early Christian views of God were more personal, more anthropomorphic, and less abstract than those that emerged later from the creeds written over the next several hundred years. The key ideological shift that began in the second century A.D., after the loss of apostolic authority, resulted from a conceptual merger of Christian doctrine with Greek philosophy.


This is utter nonsense. No support is provided to show how earlier worship in the times of the Bible evolved.


In 1947, a shepherd boy stumbled upon the first cave that contained what was later known as the Dead Sea Scrolls. Inside this cave were two copies of the Old Testament book of Isaiah, dating to before the time of Jesus. In fact, the earliest copy we had before (the Masoretic text) was dated the 10th century AD. It would seem that this would help us understand if the Bible was transmitted correctly. Using this, allow me to quote from the English translation of the Dead Sea Scrolls:


Isaiah 43:10: You are my witnesses, says YHWH, and my servant whom I have chosen: so that you may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, nor after me will there be.


Isaiah 44:6-8:  Thus says YHWH the King of Israel, and his Redeemer YHWH of hosts [+is his name]; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God. . . . you are my witnesses. Is there a God beside me? There is no god of stone that I know.


Isaiah 45:5-7:  I am YHWH, and there is no one else, and beside me there is no God I girded you, and you did not know me: So that they will know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am YHWH, and there is no one else.


Meanwhile, we have almost 6,000 Greek manuscripts of the Koine Greek of the New Testament and 24,000 total manuscripts. We have pieces of the Bible going back to the second century, with complete manuscripts as early as the fourth century. The Mormon must show how there was a loss of apostolic authority and how there was a “merger” with Greek philosophy.


But the Mormon scholar must not only show that Christianity merged with the Greeks. If they want to present a case for their own religion, they must show in “former-day” Christianity where doctrines similar to theirs were taught. They must produce evidence that it was once believed that God is composed of a body of flesh and bones and that he once existed in another world. They must explain that the temple contained ordinances similar to theirs, including secret handshakes and baptisms for those already dead. And they must present evidence that people (other than the Levites) could hold the priesthood. In fact, there are a host of other issues that must be thoroughly explained to show that Mormonism is closer to the original than Christianity. One cannot merely claim that there were a number of changes without doing this second part. As Aaron Shafovaloff has stated, “If all their creeds are an abomination, why is much of the Nicene Creed to be found in D&C 20:17-28?” Good question. In addition, Sharon Lindbloom writes this thought-provoking blog article here.

3 comments:

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Cowardly anonymous.

Your problem is that you have been indoctrinated into the LDS cult. I post only factual information, no matter who the author is. I write a lot of my own articles (which, if you have read me early years especially, you know). To save time I will often post other people's articles when I know they are factual. Using someone else's article does not make them an idol to me and such a charge only demonstrates your foolishness.

I am an ex-Mormon and have studied the BOM, PoGP, D&C, and lots of stuff from the Journal of Discourses. Yes, I do indeed know what I'm talking about; I have studied the LDS cult for over 50 years, probably since before you were born.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Cowardly anonymous

All you have are ad hominem attacks, proving what a fool you are. Go away, ignorant troll.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

By the way, Mr. Cowardly anonymous, citing one's credentials is not arrogant or prideful, just explaning qualifications.