Friday, May 13, 2016

Wildly Unbiblical Teachings


Consider how very fortunate we are to be living in this land of America . . .  Many great events have transpired in this land of destiny.  This was the place where Adam dwelt; this was the place where the Garden of Eden was; it was here that Adam met with a body of high priests at Adam-ondi-Ahman shortly before his death and gave them his final blessing, and the place to which he will return to meet with the leaders of his people (D&C 107:53-57).  This was the place of three former civilizations: that of Adam, that of the Jaredites, and that of the Nephites.

Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson, pp.587-588

Firstly, the American continent didn’t even exist in Adam’s time, and the Flood wiped out what land masses would have existed, and completely reshaped the world. 
Secondly, Adam never met with any council of priests — there were no such persons during Adam’s time, and there is no biblical evidence that Adam will ever return to earth to meet with anyone.

Thirdly, there is no archaeological evidence that such cultures as Jaredites and Nephites ever existed outside of Joseph Smith’s imagination.


4 comments:

pat said...

I have a friend that is a Mormon - we met about 5 years ago - the more i try to understand her - the more i can't - I am gentle with her but she is not with me - the more i read about what Mormon's believe the more i feel like snoopy with his hair standing up straight - how on earth could someone believe this stuff..... I don't know what to do - any suggestions?

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Hi Pat,

It isn't really so difficult to see how people believe this stuff; take a look at my testimony at:
https://watchmanvlds.blogspot.com/2015/10/my-history-in-and-out-of-lds.html

Think about all the people who believe in all the Eastern religions, whether it is about reincarnation, or becoming gods, etc. All seem to be unbelievable, but people are easily deceived.

I can suggest some helpful books which are good for learning how to respond, or how to question and what to question:
Answering Mormons' Questions, by Bill McKeever and Eric Johnson
Questions to Ask Your Mormon Friend, by same two authors
Reasoning From the Scriptures with the Mormons, by Ron Rhodes.

You also contact me for assistance on my email, jude3.gctwm@yahoo.com


Unknown said...

They are very very defensive. They'll tell themselves anything to convince themselves that the church is true. Trust me, I was Mormon most of my life.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

I've been studying them for the past 40 years, and I agree with you 100%.