Saturday, December 13, 2014

Did They Really Say That?!?

I read the following at the Mormon Research Ministry’s blog, Mormon Coffee:

Quite simply, you can’t have a testimony until you bear it to someone. At the moment that you tell someone that you know X is true – even if you don’t know it yet – the Spirit will testify to you that it is indeed true. It may sound a little iffy, but I can tell you that it’s true. I had the same issue as you did at one point. I wasn’t sure that the Church was true, but I wanted a testimony. I got up in testimony meeting (the same time that I described earlier, in fact) and told everyone that I ‘believed’ the Church was true. I prefaced it by telling everyone that I didn’t know for sure yet, but I had heard that this was the way to find out for sure, so I was going to give it a shot. Sure enough, it worked. The Spirit told me that the Church was indeed true. In fact, the Spirit is telling me again that the Church is true as I’m writing this response. It’s really cool. I suggest that you try it for yourself. If you want to know for sure that the Church is true, tell someone else." (“The Board,” 9/14/2005)


So, let me get this straight: you don’t have a testimony until you tell someone your testimony, and then suddenly you have a testimony?!?

The Mormon tradition of “bearing” one’s testimony is, in my view, quite humorous.  They “bear” a testimony that the church is true, and that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, and yet they give no evidence for such a testimony other than a “burning in the bosom.”  (How do they know they don’t just have heartburn?)

I’d suggest they would do better by being “Bereans” and actually read the Bible to see if what the LDS teaches is true.  If they did that, they would leave the cult of Mormonism.

No comments: