Friday, November 7, 2014

Did They Really Say That?!?

You believe Adam was made of the dust of this earth.  This I do not believe, though it is supposed that it is so written in the Bible; but it is not, to my understanding.  You can write that information to the States, if you please - that I have publicly declared that I do not believe that portion of the Bible as the Christian world do.  I never did, and I never want to.  What is the reason I do not?  Because I have come to understanding, and banished from my mind all the baby stories my mother taught me when I was a child.

Brigham Young, October 23, 1853, Journal of Discourses 2:6


So, Brigham Young, as a prophet of God, has denied the plain teaching of Scripture and then says it is a “baby story.”  But notice he contrasts what he believes with what “Christians” would believe.  Mormons nowadays want to be called “Christian,” yet in the old days they wanted nothing to do with the term and often derided true Christianity.

Young, as did Joseph Smith before him and many “prophets” and presidents after him, denied the plain teaching of Scripture in many, many places as they developed their own heretical cult.

No comments: