Thursday, November 13, 2014

An Encounter With Mormon Missionaries

I posted this article on The Watchman’s Bagpipes three years ago, but it is still worth posting as an example of the deception of Mormon missionaries.

=================

Today my wife and I went shopping at an antiques store in Mt. Vernon, IA.  As we came out of the store and headed up the sidewalk towards where our car was parked, we noticed two Mormon missionaries walking towards us.  Before we got within 20 feet of them they began talking to us, so we stopped and listened for a couple minutes as they began their presentation.  I interrupted and told them I was an ex-Mormon, so they asked what led me to leave.  Our conversation continued for several minutes, during which I pointed out that their Christ was not the Christ of the Bible, which was a main reason for my researching their faith leading to my departure.  I mentioned the Adam-God doctrine of Brigham Young’s, and said it was one of the doctrines the LDS now discounts.  I stated that Brigham Young was a prophet of God and stated he received that doctrine from God and yet the LDS now denies it as true.  For the first time ever, I heard a new defense for why this doctrine is wrong.

Wait for it...................

Brigham Young misunderstood God!

Yes, that’s what they said!!!!!  Can you imagine a biblical prophet being excused that way?!

The one young man said he knows the Book of Mormon is true because God told him.  Again, this was a new tact I’ve never heard.  So I asked, “Did God actually speak to you?”  “Yes,” he said.  “You actually heard his audible voice?” I asked.  “He spoke to my heart,” he said.  “AH!,” I said, “Have you not read Jeremiah 17:9 where he says the heart is deceitful?”  “But it was God who spoke to me,” he replied.

Well, I suggested there were many problems which he should investigate, such as at least 50 false prophecies by Joseph Smith, grave problems with the Book of Mormon (beginning with the “Reformed Egyptian” being translated in 1828-29 coming out exactly like KJV 1611 English translating Hebrew & Greek, including the italicized words), the differences in the LDS god and Jesus vs those of the Bible, no historical evidence, no archaeological evidence, etc.  I even handed him a business card for my ministry and suggested he review my blog articles.  He took the card, but then got close to me and said in a fairly loud, stern voice, “I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to be silent!”  I simply stated, “You invoke the wrong Christ” and continued by stating that DNA has proven that Indians are not of Jewish origin.  He looked sort of stunned when I did not become silent at his command.  His partner then laughed at me and said they had to go.

So, is this the new thing? Claim Brigham Young misunderstood God, claim God spoke to them (rather than the burning in the bosom) and command you to be silent?

I did tell them that if they were wrong, they had no second chance.  It was really very sad to see these young people so deceived. 

No comments: